Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Bydgoszcz

Here is a quick summary of the happenings in Bydgoszcz. We have a lot of family here because my parents were basically the only part of the family who left Poland for the US. Therefore, there are lots of aunts, uncles, and cousins here, and now my cousins have children which makes it all the more fun to visit. I haven't been here since 2000, and it's nice to be able to visit again. The city is big and there is a lot to do. I am very fortunate to be staying in a nice apartment that my cousin basically moved out of for me to use with Katie until I leave for Warsaw. How nice is that? Everyone has been so helpful with keeping me company and taking me and Katie places. I have even managed some outings myself. On Sunday I ventured out to church with Katie. I went online, found the mass schedule, and mapped my walking route. In Poland you pretty much walk everywhere. Unfortunately, I got very lost! I used my iPhone mapping function to get me there and was pretty darn late. The church nearby is huge and apparently there are 20,000 parishioners, though not all attend mass. There are masses all day to the evening at this church. I went to 8:30 mass, thinking it would be quiet. wrong! The place was packed and I had to sit in the back with Katie. The church was huge and gorgeous. All the churches here really are beautiful. I managed to quickly visit the church where my parents were married as well and caught a picture.

It is neat to revisit my family history again. This is my third time in Bydgoszcz but I think I now have the deepest appreciation for my heritage on this particular trip. What I most appreciate about Poland is that family is very important and family really sticks together and people help each other out. Usually families stay in the same town as well, as is the case of the majority of my relatives here. It is more challenging to stay close in the US where distance can take families across the country or globe. Having more quality family time is something I want to prioritize when we go home. Other things here make me grateful to be an American. Health care here is sad. People wait months or years even for critical procedures. It is hard to find work. Unemployment I was told is at 12%. I know the US isn't perfect but I am grateful for things like fountain pop, drying machines, thick toilet paper, stationary wand showers, the ability to buy a house with a garage or a big car like a mini van, and wall to wall carpeting in our homes. I sure miss my Jimmy John's #12 too!

So how are things going with Katie? All things considered, she is doing well with adapting to all the changes in her life. There is so much here to take in that at times I think she is overwhelmed. Everything she experiences is new to her, like feeding pigeons or going on a car ride. I sense anxiety from her over all this change. The good news is she is attaching well to me. She comes to me for comfort and not anyone else. I continue to hold her for feedings and spend lots of time cuddling her. Sleep is a challenge. She gets up 2-4 times a night. Usually I give her the pacifier and she goes back to sleep. However, sometimes she is up at some odd time and won't go back to sleep. One night, she got up at 2 am and I had to change her diaper. Well, then she was inconsolable! After 2 hours she fell asleep in my arms and yet she was still up at 7:30. It is very physically exhausting to keep up with her and have little downtime but I just keep praying for strength to get me through this time. Someday she will sleep all night. In the meantime - suggestions are welcome! I am very grateful that she enjoys long walks in the stroller, yapping away. LOL. I'm also grateful for the social network that we have here with family helping me out by bringing me food and taking me and Katie places. I dont known what I'd do without my family here. I am having a hard time finding a chance to eat so I am fortunate to have 2 aunts pushing food on me so I can maintain my health. I really miss my 2 kids at home and now with Mike gone I am even more homesick. Skype has been a lifesaver to keep up with everyone. Time is flying by being here in Bydgoszcz, and I am now counting the days until my mom is here before focusing on leg 3 of this journey - to Warsaw!

I have been taking lots of pictures around Bydgoszcz. Here are pictures of the downtown and some of the churches. I took a picture of how many mass times there are at one of the churches. Wow! My aunt told me there are over 20 churches in this city of 300,000. Also, check out the kielbasa assortment at the meat counter of a smaller supermarket! The main street downtown has lots of nice stores. I enjoy taking Katie on a walk and just window shopping. There sure are a lot of ice cream shops around, and they are open early in the morning. Somehow everyone is skinny. I think it must be from all the walking to get places. Not everyone has a car, and public transportation options are readily available. It's fun to watch the "autobus" go by. I found a"piekarnia" or bakery to buy bread. I have seen at least 10 piekarnias but only this one is stroller friendly so I can just roll in there without going up or down steps. For only 2,70 zloty I can get a delicious loaf of challah bread. That's less than 1 US dollar!

1 comment:

  1. The photos are beautiful! Hang in there!! It will get better and better. So glad there is family there to help! What a blessing! I can understand how hard it is away from Mike and the kids. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you. Jimmy johns #12 is also my favorite! I ate one in your honor today and will buy you one when you return��

    ReplyDelete