Sunday, September 2, 2012

Warsaw

We are in Warsaw!!! Things are busy and time is flying. First off, I am very upset with Delta Airlines. Mike had to purchase my mom's plane ticket over the phone because their online system was down. They sent us her reservation and she was all set to take off Saturday afternoon. She goes to check in and they didn't have her ticket. She calls Mike and he spent an hour on the phone with Delta. For some reason, they ticketed the flight but didn't charge Mike's card. So she didnt have a seat. They admitted they screwed up. Mad does not begin to describe what Mike's face looked like when I Skyped with him. At this point it was midnight in Poland. He finally got her on a flight but she was due to arrive in Warsaw 4 hours later, which in turn makes her 4 hours later to Bydgoszcz. Then they screwed up her return flight, making it on a Thursday rather than Saturday. Mike spent another hour with Delta fixing the return flight. Needless to say, I couldn't sleep Saturday night. All I could do was worry about my mom. She did get in on Sunday but not until almost 10 pm. Regardless, she was here safe and in very high spirits! She spent the night with her sister because she did not want to wake up Katie. She showed up here on Monday morning rearing to go, looking beautiful as always. My mom is amazing! We got right down to packing an cleaning up and then I walked her to her lunch date with a friend and she bought me an ice cream on the way. I feel like a little kid again! Then I came back home to put Katie down for a nap and finished packing. Somehow we still have a ton of bags and they are full. I wish I had tips on packing lighter but with food, diapers, toys, medicines for just in case, and a few outfits, we are packed up full.

After my mom was done with lunch, we met up with my aunt, uncle, and cousin and headed to the train station. Our 4 hour trip to Warsaw was quite interesting. We had to share a cabin with 3 people who obviously did not like little children. They whispered to each other and turned their bodies away from us. It was quite the cold shoulder. The funniest part of the trip was that Katie pooped not once, but twice, and I had to change her there in the cabin because the bathrooms on the train are so nasty. During diaper change number 2, all 3 of our fellow passengers exited the cabin and stood in the corridor! I couldn't believe it. Overall, Katie did as good as a 16 month old can do sitting for 4 hours. She ate, she played, she cuddled, as at times she cried. But we made it to Warsaw and then found a very nice gentleman who helped us with our bags and got us to a taxi. Magda set us up with a pretty sweet 1 bedroom apartment that includes a pack and play for Katie. I'm very happy with our new digs. And I am over the moon thrilled that Babcia (my mom) is here. My spirits have been uplifted! Having her makes what should be frustrating, extremely funny instead. Like us hauling Katie in her stroller, along with a backpack, 2 purses, and 3 rolling bags through an apartment complex - at least there was an elevator that we managed to cram into. Ah, memories!

Pictures are of my mom with Katie before and during the train ride, our entourage bidding us farewell before the train took off, me before leaving for Warsaw, and Katie snacking on the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment